WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE ABOUT ESTANCIA LAGUNA VERDE: ARTICLE BY GARY HUGHES

 WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE ABOUT BEING AT ESTANCIA LAGUNA VERDE? 

When people ask me why do I travel half way around the world to go fishing sometimes, I always reply ...” Fish don’t live in Ugly Places’... it has kind of become a mantra for me. This then leads me into excited discussion about not just where I am going, even if I have not been before, but about where I have been and where I still want to go. 

Such was my discussion with my family when I was going to “Jurassic Lake” for the first time. I was so excited. Imagine going to a place that only allows fly fishing, called Jurassic Lake, where we were told the big trout live. It conjured up images of many things to me when my Argentinian friend Pablo suggested   we went there in 2017. We had fished many places together around the world, this would be our first to Jurassic Lake.  

To me, fishing is about the “being” not just the “doing”. In my work life ( I am now recently retired) , I used to tell people that to me a great leader is built by “ being more” and “doing less” …that is how I saw it and I suppose I was quite successful as a business leader, having shared many great achievements with many great people over the years. 

I try to apply this philosophy to my non work life, especially the time I spend fishing. I am not the world’s best fly fisherman and it is not that important to me, to be honest. I am more than good enough to enjoy what I do. So, on the “doing” part I suppose I am above average as I get lots of practice and great advice about how I can do better. I taught myself to cast just like I am now teaching myself how to tie flies. Trying, failing, asking questions, watching, enquiring and practicing. I have always been one who learns by doing not great at studying, but willing to try something new every day.   

Before arriving at ELV, I did like I always do when I try something new, I read up about Laguna Verde. I stocked up an all the gear I was told I needed (and more !!) and booked my flights. The preparation was easy as the advice given in the info pack was crystal clear, just like the Strobel water as I was to find out.  

It is not an easy place to get to? Living in Amsterdam I usually have 2 days to get to the Lodge and 2 back to make all my connections, but then Fish don’t live in ugly places !! The further you go from home the better the fishing, right? 

We arrived in Calafate and were met by Martin Alvarez and we went on our way to the lodge. I remember, it was a windy/cloudy day but with the stories and jokes and we shared our music, we were buddies by the time we arrived at Laguna Verde. Tincho, as I call him know, was my first friend at ELV. 

That was 2017 and I have been back now 3 more times and have 2 more booked and many more are planned. With many new friends in between, so what’s not to love about Laguna Verde? 

It is not just about the “doing “, the fishing is great as many testimonials and pictures will show. The fishing can be tailored to your personal needs, weather and wind are temperamental (sometimes the wind is just pure mental!!) so it can be tough at times. However, you will catch the biggest rainbow of your life while you are there, I would say guaranteed. You will lose some great fish in the process so use the right hooks (as I and my kids have learnt). It is Mustad S82 and R74, Gamakatsu L11s-3H etc. for me from now on!!!!The “ecosystem” of the Barrancosso, the Strobel lake, the conditions and the abundant food for the fish, delivers trophy trout conditions. So strong gear is needed, especially when they run you out into the middle or along the shore (I prefer the former) …so come well prepared.  

What I love about Estancia Laguna Verde and the fishing experience they deliver so well, is all about the “being” there. I am a person who needs to “feel” a place, to “touch” the experience, to “smell”, to “listen” and not to just “see” in order for me to BE.  

At ELV I feel that I am at home and amongst friends. The team at the lodge are just fantastic and god knows how the hell they keep it running so well so far from “civilization”. I’m normally the first one up in the morning and the last one to bed, and in all the time I’ve never wanted for a thing. Have tried to clean out the bar a few times, but never managed!!It is a place I feel at home and that I belong and am among friends.  

I am a bit of a “hugger”, always have been and love the Latin culture for its warmth and friendship. They say that the Argentinian people are very “gaucho” and I have made some great friends at ELV and many of them are not fisherman. They have truly touched my life and as such we are friends for life. 

The smell of Laguna Verde to me is all about food. A hearty breakfast, great lake side lunches of milanesa, dinners of bondiola, the Thursday Braai (I’m an African at heart), then all capped off with Empanada Friday ..food is just TOO good …..we all say the same. It's hard to lose weight there!! 

I love listening to the wind, don’t like it much when it is blowing a gale with snow at the Island, but at night it is soothing. Listening to others about their lives and their experiences. Listening to our music with the guides (I have a Lago Strobel ITunes play list!!) then on Thursday night to the music and passionate signing from the Laguna Verde Choir…  

What a beautiful place to see. That first view of Lago Strobel on the first day, looking how the waves are, deciding what we should do and where to go. Looking for a glimpse of a Puma or the carphincho we see every year by Pecho Blanco. The history of the rock paintings and the indigenous hunting hide outs. Walking up to a fishing spot and looking for cruising chromers, straining the capability of my polarized glasses to see what Tincho does. Seeing how the lake changes every year and how old fishing spots change, disappear and turn to new places. Looking for big fish moving down the channel from Puesto Cliffs, making a cast to a fish you see at Wine Glass.  Strobel to me is not just one lake, it is a multitude of fishing experiences from many different places which need to be fished differently. I love to hunt fish and Strobel is the best place in the world for that in my experience. It can be tough but very rewarding. 

Then there is the walking down the hill above Mousetrap to see a hundred rainbow, bigger than you have every caught before, all lined up waiting for a fly then a streaking run downstream …good luck. I still remember the first time I saw that; it is something you have to see to believe. 

The sun sets and the sun rise. The rods attached to your Tojota (as they say in Argentina). The smiling faces of Karina and Robbie when you get back after a great day … seeing the happy faces of fisherman, new to Strobel with their catch recorded in the book. So, a lot to see! 

My son Kyle made this video for me, so we can show others what a unique place it is, how much we love it and why. I love watching it now as the virus keeps my feet grounded for a while. Makes me realize just how lucky I am to have shared this with my sons and good friends. I can't wait to get back to make another chapter in my time at Strobel. 

As I started off …” What is not to love about Laguna Verde” ...for me, I have one thing, that is I don’t love it when I am not “being “there! Come see for yourself and be hooked like the rest of us. 

Gary Hughes

Comments

Popular Posts