DREAMING, by PETER COCKWILL

Dreaming

Why is my mind always wandering back to memories of the vast, watery expanses of Lago Strobel? 
Is it the magnitude of the skies, the seemingly endless landscape, the herds of guanaco, the bewitching Hooded Grebes or the superbly comfortable lodge? 


More likely it’s flashbacks to those heart stopping moments when something huge and shining comes crashing out of the waves and is quickly followed by the shattering disappointment as the line goes slack.



The rainbows in Strobel are the strongest I have ever hooked and despite my intention to always take control of a hooked fish they repeatedly outwit me such that I have to keep going back to once again feel that solid tightening.  I don’t know which is best. The visual targeting of a cruising monster and the thrill of the take or the moment when a fish is hooked out in the waves and you don’t know whether it’s 5lb or 20lb.



Somehow I can visualise every lost fish, and my current percentage success rate needs amending, but so too do I have the photographic evidence to prove that Strobel can be kind and reward me with a trophy of glistening silver.



There are days when this malevolent water can defeat my best efforts but persistence pays off, and that’s why my dreams are always of that perfect day when all comes good and I can again admire the perfection of these glorious fish. The next visit is never that far away and in the meantime the dreams will be enough. 

Peter Cockwill

* Peter Cockwill lives in England, where he is an extensively published author in specialized magazines as well as several fly fishing books. An outstanding angler, instructor and guide, throughout his long career, has fished in many different countries and fisheries. Peter has visited Estancia Laguna Verde in 8 consecutive seasons; next January 2019 will be his 9th!











t

Comments