FLY FISHING IS ALL ABOUT THE PEOPLE. Article by Clem Booth

Fly Fishing is all about the people, by Clem Booth


It’s been fifty years since l first picked up the long rod and, as I sit writing this, tomorrow will be another day on the water. A lifetime of memories; big fish, small fish, and sometimes no fish at all! Magnificent landscapes aplenty, and also urban settings with their own peculiar beauty. Plenty of trips to airports to fly to exotic destinations and at other times, a mere thirty minutes drive down the motorway to beloved home waters. It’s much more than a way of life; it’s actually a way to live a life. It’s a fly fishing life.  

 And, the more I think about it, the more it becomes clear that, in the end, it’s actually all about the people. Memories shared with like-minded souls are indelibly etched into one’s consciousness, to be recalled and cherished years, even decades later. That’s my experience anyway. When you fly fish, you come across all sorts of people. I hope it’s yours too.  

Early one morning thirty years ago while looking for an obscure beat on the magnificent River Test, I spied a youngish lady walking along the country lane. Alongside her was scuttling a duck. Yes, a duck. Not just any duck but a duck on a lead! Fascinated, I stopped to ask directions, which she kindly provided. Before continuing on my way, I said: “If you don’t mind me asking, what are you doing with that duck?” She replied: “Why, I’m walking it of course!”  That day, I caught a good number of beautiful trout and a hatful of grayling. Memories were made, and, as I think back on that day, the abiding one was the lady walking her duck! 




When you fly fish, you come across all sorts of people. Tall ones, short ones, skinny fellows and others less so, judges, sales people, every imaginable type. Some fish alongside you and share your fly fishing journey, and others pop out of left stage walking ducks! It’s the people who make the memories. That’s my belief and my experience.  

I love my trips to wherever, near or far, accompanied by like-minded and sometimes not so like-minded people. Flyfishers might share a common bond but they also all have their own personal, unique stories. It oftentimes takes a little bit of time to break the ice, sometimes a wee dram of your favourite tipple helps, but soon, it’s been my experience that you really get to know people who might very well become friends for life.  

Sharing days on the water, making memories with friends makes it all doubly worthwhile, at least for me. Don’t get me wrong, I also fish alone; sometimes I need the time out to clear the cobwebs from my head. But having done so, I then share with my friends who understand the need for occasional solitude but rejoice in my success or commiserate on the failures. It’s all about the people.  


When I travel to ELV, as has been the case every year over the past five, yes, I do so with the prospect of a huge, silver torpedo that will make my knees wobble. At the same time, the bear hug at the door from Luciano or Roberto, the evenings spent persuading each other (and perhaps oneself) that twelve pounds is actually at least fifteen (might be the altitude!), the banter and camaraderie, the quality time with the wonderful guides and other staff all contribute to the unique experience; truly memories in the making. Even at a lodge with the best wild rainbow trout fishing on Planet Earth - very likely Planet Zog too - it’s actually all about the people.  

People make the moments. Some are really humorous. Some years ago, fishing a chalk stream here in the UK with my great friend Don, I spied him stalking a trout. He’d carefully climbed a barbed wire and was leaning forward over the water in intense concentration. Unbeknown to him, a cow had spotted this fine specimen of a man precariously close to the water in a statue like poise. It sidled up behind him, nudged him in the bum at which point he - understandably alarmed - jumped into the water! I saw it coming but the devil on my shoulder suggested better to rather watch and wait. We laughed about it afterwards; we caught plenty of fish that day, but the memory of the cow and a good - even if well soaked - friend!  


Getting to know people is worth the effort. There are hidden jewels out there, people who will literally change your life. If I see someone sitting alone on a fishing trip, I go talk to them and have had some wonderful experiences doing so. I got to know Nano over the years; what a guide he is! But he is also studying civil engineering and whenever we talk, I nag him about finishing his degree. He’s Nano, the guide, yes. But more importantly, he’s Nano the friend.  








In the end, after all said and done, fly fishing is a wonderful way to spend a life. I wouldn’t change a thing even now after all these years. It’s the people who’ve made it so special, enriched the journey, reaffirmed the obsession as being entirety normal and generally made it fun. Fly fishing is about so much more than catching fish! It’s about living!  


Tight lines, enjoy the fishing and the people you fish with.


Clem, Ascot, UK, September 2018.

Comments